Capture Your Style: Chapter Recap Series: Ch 1
Hey Welcome Back!! I'm SO EXCITED!!!! TODAY I'm launching my first series! Cause I know I love learning, and I love helping others and I think others LIKE being helped so I figure, why not! Every Sunday For the next 5 weeks I'll be doing a Chapter Rundown of this amazing book by Aimee Song "Capture Your Style". Plus A Check List & Work Sheet that will help you along! We can all use some Insta-help and Aimee comes correct with it so here it is! Let's jump right in!
Chapter 1 - The In's and Outs of Instagram
- CAMERA PHONE BASICS: When using your smart phone to take instagram pictures, there are a few things the big timers use that most of us don't!
- GRID LINES: Vital for taking straight images (crooked images are just amateur!
- AUTO-FOCUS & FOCUS LOCK: I think we all know this one but again, it deserves honorable mention! Focus on your subjects, usually with just a tap!
- EXPOSURE ADJUST: We all have noticed on some of the best themes the posters photo's are BRIGHT! But never TOO bright! So remember you can fix an under exposed photo, NOT an over exposed one, find the safe medium!
- CHOOSING THE RIGHT HANDLE: you can try putting your last name first, adding initials, add THE or IT's or REAL or I AM or even MR/MRS in front of your actual name or your online name! Even adding your city or your profession/job (if it's awesome enough!) Some like their own name but use a shortened version! Get creative and make it so it rolls off the tongue!
- FOLLOWING OTHERS: Start off by going to the big names and like a process of elimination, go through their following list or followers and find other accounts with styles/themes you like. Or if you like their story telling style.
- Also by clicking on your most used #HASHTAG and looking through those accounts with similar niche's or businesses and following them!
- Another way to find those similar to you or in your area is using the GEO-TAG (when you tag your location to your post) click on it and see what others in that area are doing that might be similar to you or your business or just your style!
- CREATING YOUR PHOTO GRID: And by that I mean deciding on a posting style. Curating a theme/posting style you feel comfortable sticking with; whether it's a color scheme (mainly blues/purple hues/ mainly white), or a cropping style or a few set of colors/tones present, decide on an editing style and use it to help you tell your story and weave together your images. No more than ever people think twice before posting that cute picture of their kitties, unless it somehow matches their theme. Letting your photo grid tell your followers a story is the NEW way to post with style.
- Make sure to keep your photo's fresh and different so your grid keeps telling your story.